ACTIVITY 1 - PRINT YOUR OWN 3D SPARE PART
This 1-hour session will allow participants to discover for themselves the potential of 3D Printing through a build intensive design project.
They will be designing and building Spur gears. The session is meant to empower participants with knowledge on 3D printing and its applications. No prior technical knowledge needed. A Kahoot quiz at the end of the session determines the winner!
Additive manufacturing technology - More specifically Laser metal deposition and Powder bed infusion is quickly growing and offers new potential to the oil and gas industry to remanufacture difficult-to-weld components and to reinstate existing, old equipment. Soon, Engineers and designers will be expected to begin using 3D printing to fabricate parts as and when needed.
Participants can expect the following by the end of the session:
1. Be able to understand what makes 3D printing unique from other traditional methods of manufacturing and what its current benefits and limitations are.
2. Be able to access specific resources needed to 3D print an object using 123D design.
3. Be able to open, view, manipulate and edit three-dimensional object files
4. To create new three-dimensional object files from scratch.
5. Prepare and optimize those files for 3D printing
3D Printing Session Agenda
|1||Introduction to 3D printing||10 minutes|
|2||Introduce the concept of 3D and the difference between 2D and 3D.Activity- Participants are given a set of 3D pictures where they turn it into 2D. The exercise has about 5 3D images that the participants should convert top view, side view, and front view.||10 minutes|
Introduction to 3D software (123d Design)
Tools: Navigating through the software
· Parameters of the primitives
· How to move, scale, and place primitives
· Subtract tool
|4||Participants design and print a 3D model using all tools learnt||20 minutes|
|5||Kahoot Quiz and Award Distribution||10 minutes|